Excellence in Ministry Training Sunday, January 12, 2020
Washington Street United Methodist Church
Opening Session: 3:00pm Workshops: 3:30-5:00pm
*You will attend only one workshop. You are encouraged to bring several staff and church leaders.
- “How to Reach New People: Practical Evangelism” – Rev. Martin Quick, Associate Pastor, Journey UMC
- “Taking Care of God’s Money” – Beth Westbury, Conference Treasurer
- “Taking Care of Business: Trustees” – Kay Crowe, Conference Chancellor
- “Congregational Care” – Rev. Faye Stephens, Minister of Congregational Care, Mt. Horeb UMC
- “Resolving Conflict in the Church” – Rev. Millie Nelson Smith, Congregational Specialist for Columbia and Hartsville and African American Church
- “How to Start and Grow an Endowment Ministry” – Douglas D. Himes, Ph.D. President, Douglas Himes Associates LLC
- “Think outside the Box: Creative Worship” – Rev. Dr. Cathy Jamieson, D.S.
- “A Mission Miscellany: A little of this and a little of that from an Outreach Perspective” – Rev. Gary D. Phillips, Salem UM
- “Advocacy for Justice” – MORE Justice Leaders, Rev. Connie Barnes, Rev. Smoke Kanipe, Rev. Joel Jones
- “Epworth Local Church Representative: Be the Face and Voice” – Sherry Mims, Associate Dir. of Church Relations and Assistant to the President; Lisa Livingston Fusco, Senior Director of Development
- “Strengthening Youth Ministry” – Chris Lynch, Congregational Specialist, Rock Hill and Spartanburg and Ministry with Young People
- “Strengthening Ministry with Children and Families” – Rev. Taylor Pafford, Minister of Children, Youth & Families, Washington Street UMC
- “Discipleship in the 21st Century Church” – Rev. Dr. Christopher Greene
Click here to register; (deadline, January 6, 2020)
This Spring, SCMYP (SC Ministry with Young People) is coming to your district to network with youth workers and hear from you about how we can best resource you in your youth ministry in the local church. Plus we are buying you dinner. So, complete the form below and click submit to reserve your spot. Each gathering will take place at 6 pm. Locations are listed on the registration form below beside each district. If you have any questions, please email Chris Lynch, firstname.lastname@example.org
SCMYP is coming to the Columbia District to connect with youth workers on Monday, April 1st
at 6:00 PM at Mt. Hebron UMC, (3050 Leaphart Rd, West Columbia). Don’t miss this incredible
opportunity to connect, laugh, learn, and of course, EAT! There is no cost, but we need you to
sign up at scmyp.org/youth-workers so that we have plenty of food. Come on your own, or bring
your whole youth ministry team.
REGISTER HERE: http://scmyp.org/district-tour-2019/
Letting Go and Taking Hold
Sponsored by: Columbia, Hartsville, and Rock Hill Districts
9:30AM – 3:30pm, May 18, 2017 (registration deadline May 12)
Trenholm Road UMC, 3401 Trenholm Road, Columbia, SC 29204
Rev. Mark Tidsworth, Retreat Leader
Objective: To assist pastors transitioning in their ministry contexts to transition well.
Format: Activities in this one-day retreat include presentation, small group dialogue, individual reflection, and commissioning.
Resource: “Your Best Move: Effective Leadership Transition for the Local Church” by Robert Kaylor. Please read prior to the retreat.
- Welcome, Introductions, and Warming Up
- Interactive Transitions Bible Study
- Guiding Metaphor: Letting Go And Taking Hold (Trapeze)
- Letting Go – Saying A Good Goodbye (Letting Go)
- Leadership Matters – Why We Transition Well
- Taking Hold – Major Initiatives To Engage Early In Tenure
- Serving Well, Serving Strong – Life Balance Planning
- Communion and Sending Forth
The Columbia District has hosted this retreat for its transitioning clergy the last two years. Rock Hill and Hartsville Districts are joining as sponsors this year. This year the retreat is moving to this new earlier date to facilitate the transition. This retreat is open to all UMC Districts and to pastors from various denominations (non-UMC pastors please send a check for $25 to Columbia District, 4908 Colonial Drive, Columbia, SC 29203)
Rev. Mark Tidsworth, Retreat Leader – Mark and Pinnacle Leadership partner with the South Carolina UMC in many ways, with this retreat as one expression of this partnership. Exploring the intersection of faith and culture is Mark’s sweet spot in ministry, influencing his coaching, training, writing, and consulting. Mark’s vocational journey as a pastor, new church developer, therapist, author, and Pinnacle President has contributed to his understanding of church leadership. You can learn more about Mark and Pinnacle on their website at pinnlead.com
DEADLINE TO REGISTER – MAY 12. Complete REGISTRATION AT THIS LINK Registration Form
For questions, contact the Columbia District office, Veronica Williams, 786-9486 or email@example.com.
Bishop’s BBQ Bash Rescheduled
Saturday, March 19
9:00am to 2:00pm
Trinity UMC Blythewood
(90 Boney Road, Blythewood, SC 29016)
District-wide Dear Pastors and Church Lay Leaders:
We are blessed to have a bold, compassionate, and committed leader in Bishop Jonathan Holston. Last year, he visited every District during the Bishop’s Road Show. For 2015-2016, the Bishop is visiting every District for the Bishop’s Barbecue Bash. The Columbia District BBQ Bash will be March 19, at Trinity UMC in Blythewood, 9:00am – 2:00pm. Registration/gathering will be 8:30-9:00am. The focus of the Bishop’s BBQ Bash is to empower pastors and laity for creative and effective partnership and leadership. It is Bishop Holston’s hope and expectation that EVERY pastor participate, and bring a team of 3 leaders. This team may include the Lay Leader, Church Council Chair, and the SPRC Chair. We encourage the pastor to bring an emerging leader, who can replace any of those on the suggested list. Because of space limitations at Chapin UMC, the pastor may only bring 3 leaders. Even for a multi-church charge, a pastor may only bring 3 leaders total from the charge. If there are multiple pastors on staff, the senior pastor should attend, and if unable, he or she may delegate to an associate.
Register your by completing the on-line registration here* If you previously registered for the original January 23rd date, you do NOT need to re-register. I look forward to March 19, as we learn from our Bishop and one another how to strengthen the church for making disciples for Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.
With Thankfulness for your leadership,
Rev. Dr. Cathy Jamieson-Ogg and the Columbia District Leadership Team
*Register online or contact Veronica Williams in the District Office (firstname.lastname@example.org or 803-786-9486) with the total number who plan to attend from your church.