Go to this link to read the Judicial Council ruling on the Commission on the Way Forward’s 3 proposed plans for General Conference 2019.
July 31, 2018 – WASHINGTON, D.C. – The final report of the Commission on a Way Forward has been released in all four official languages of the General Conference: English, French, Portuguese and Swahili. The report will be presented to the 2019 Special Session of General Conference. Subject to final copy editing, the report will be printed in the Advance Daily Christian Advocate (ADCA) in November. Here is a statement from the moderators of the Commission and the President of the Council of Bishops on the release of the report: “To the People of The United Methodist Church,
“We offer the final report of the Commission on a Way Forward, translated in the four official languages of the General Conference of The United Methodist Church: English, French, Portuguese and Swahili. In the Nicene Creed, we are taught the marks of the church—one, holy, catholic and apostolic. We are catholic in that we care not only for the parts of the church, but more significantly for the whole. We have refrained from commenting about the plans contained in this report until the time when our sisters and brothers could read this in their own first language. With this distribution, we give thanks that this work can now begin, and we can have a conversation that represents our global and catholic nature—more fully who we are as The United Methodist Church.”
Bishops Sandra Steiner Ball and David Yemba
Moderators, Commission on a Way Forward
Bishop Ken Carter
President, Council of Bishops
Go to the link below to read the final report that outlines the 3 plans:
There are many ways to support Epworth, including the following:
- District Clergy Gathering – Sept. 11, Tuesday, 11:30am-1:00pm, Epworth – Trenholm Road Campus, “The Changing Face of Epworth” – Rev. John Holler will give us a tour of the new campus, we’ll hear about Epworth’s future, and eat Ice Cream! Park in back of Trenholm Road UMC, and enter through back road, Maiden Lane.
- September 9, Epworth Work Day Offering
- October 2, Food Truck Rodeo – A fun fundraiser! Bring your church family.
- Want to buy the new flavors of Epworth Ice Cream? Here’s the info on Facebook:
In an effort to strengthen your pastoral ministry, you are invited to attend a free church administration seminar AUGUST 14, TUESDAY, 9:00-12:00, including a FREE LUNCH for fellowship and question/answer time at the Methodist Center, upstairs Conference room. While this will be open to all pastors, it will be required for all pastors who are in their first or second appointment.
Rev. Robert Cox, who recently retired from the Greenville District and has a background in accounting/business, will lead the seminar. He has done this seminar with great success in many districts. It will cover the basics in the records that we need to keep for Membership, Giving, Finances, Personnel, and Legal.
Sign up by AUGUST 10 at this link: https://goo.gl/forms/20viZdyJZd95EyNI3
WHAT: A Columbia District ministry outreach to refugee children
WHEN: August 6-10, 8:30am – 1:00pm
WHERE: Hosted at Grace UMC, 410 Harbison Blvd
WHAT WE NEED: We need your help! – Volunteers, Financial contributions, School supplies, Your talents— music talent, art talent; are you a dentist, or dental hygienist, or a nurse or doctor who can give your time to share with the kids and their families
To donate or to serve, or for more information, contact Martha Thompson: firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!
Watch this video! Hand y Mano
We are now offering Lay Servant Ministries Fall Training School in addition to our annual Spring Training School. Please notice that we have online registration for Fall Training School. Feel free to share this info with others in your congregations who may be interested in being a part of Lay Servant Ministries. We encourage the Youth of our churches to become Lay Servants, too. (Pastor recommendation and approval required for anyone who wants to join lay servant ministries.) There is much work to be done. Spread the news!
Columbia District Lay Servant Ministries School – Fall Session
Date: September 28 – 29, 2018
Time: 6:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. 9/28/18
9:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. 9/29/18
REGISTER ONLINE: http://www.umcsc.org/data/codistlsmreg.php
Registration Deadline: September 15, 2018
Location: Mt. Hebron United Methodist Church, 3050 Leaphart Road, West Columbia, SC
Contact: Debbie Watford, Director, Email: email@example.com Phone: 803-673-4930
Course Offering: All classes are $25. Each participant is to purchase his/her own books ahead of time.
- Lay Servant Ministries (The Basic Course) , by Sandy Zeigler Jackson and Brian Jackson; Participant’s Book – DR626 – 978-0-88177-626-3 ($11.00)
2. Living Our Beliefs: The United Methodist Way (United Methodist Heritage), by Kenneth L. Carder / George Hovaness Donigian; Participant’s Book – DR571 – 978-0-88177-571-6 ($13.00)
3. Each One a Minister (Discovering your spiritual gifts), by William J. Carter; Participant’s Book – DR375 – 978-0-88177-375-0 ($14.00)
4. Grief Rite: Moving From Mourning to Ministering, by Kathryn McColskey PhD; Participant’s Book – 978-0982395912 (Amazon – $7.95 paperback)
District Set-Up Meeting & Gathering
Thursday, August 2, 2018
Epworth Children’s Home
(2900 Millwood Ave, Columbia, SC 29205)
- 6:00pm — Worship in the Sanctuary
- 6:45pm — Dinner in the Dining Hall
- Clergy meeting and Spouse’s
gathering to follow dinner.
- Register by: Friday, July 27, 2018
Appointed clergy are expected to attend this gathering for introductions, fellowship, and vital information regarding our ministry together in the Columbia District. All others are invited and children are welcome.
Please submit registration online link https://goo.gl/forms/9wS4WiWianC5l7l33