The purpose of the Columbia District Committee for Congregational Development is to assist local churches in fulfilling their mission to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world. We offer assistance through review and consultation of projects and growth strategies. In addition, we seek to offer funding assistance to those congregations that offer visionary, concrete and measurable plans for growth in Christ in their churches and communities. As a partner with the Conference Committee on Congregational Development, we encourage congregations to be innovative in their staffing, building usage and plans for ministry. Typically, we seek to allocate our funds in the areas of new ministries, leadership development and capital improvements.
We only have $30,000-$40,000 annually for grants. Average grants are around $5,000 to $15,000, depending upon how many churches apply.
While we will consider grant requests that are targeted for repair and maintenance activities, primary consideration will be given to churches where:
- Funds are being sought for ministry initiatives addressing new and innovative efforts.
- A defined mission and strategy is in place to reach new people and intentionally make disciples. Please include a copy of your Strategic Ministry Plan.
- The application articulates how the money requested fits within the church’s mission and strategy.
- Factors are in place that support continued growth and/or growth potential, including geographic location, surrounding population trends, and church resources and culture.
We ask that churches submitting applications:
- Notify the Columbia District Office of the intent to submit an application. Please inform the District Office no later than 30 days ahead of deadline for submittal. (November 1 and May 1)
- Consult with the Chair of the Committee prior to completion of the application to ensure complete understanding of the application process.
- Complete all sections of the application and include any relevant supporting information and submit the completed application to Veronica Williams in the office of the District Superintendent.
- Have several representatives meet in person with the Committee to discuss the application.
Please complete this application, including all required signatures. This form is a fillable PDF, so you can complete it digitally, then print and sign it. Use whatever media you need to communicate your plan or other needed information. Be sure to include your MissionInsite report, which is available free online. Any lay or clergy may access this report. For assistance, contact Laura Hill in the Conference Office of Congregational Development. Submissions are received twice each year, with deadlines for applications on November 1 and May 1. Completed forms should be emailed to email@example.com or mailed to:
Congregational Development Grant Applications
Columbia District Office
4908 Colonial Drive, Suite 124
Columbia, SC 29203